Male Chest Surgery (Gynecomastia) Beverly Hills, Los Angeles California
Many men develop excess skin or breast tissue on their chests. This is a syndrome called gynecomastia and can lead to discomfort and embarrassment. The problem can be treated with direct excisional surgery, liposuction, or a combination of the two. Your anatomy will determine the best approach, and your plastic surgeon at Rodeo Drive Plastic Surgery will explain how best to proceed.
Ten Things You Should Know About Gynecomastia
- Most of the time there is no known cause, or is a remnant of puberty.
- It can be caused by drugs or over the counter medicines, body building, hormone imbalance, or other medical conditions.
- It is usually treated with liposuction, and this leaves only tiny scars.
- Sometimes surgery involves excision of skin, fat, and breast tissue either with or without liposuction.
- Surgery is performed with local or general anesthesia.
- The procedure is usually done as an outpatient.
- Recovery entails taking it easy for a few days, refraining from working the pecs for several weeks.
- Most men require just a few days off from work.
- There is usually very little discomfort following the procedure.
- Most men are very happy with the results.